The Green Trail
Wonderful initiative....and so easy !!
Ganesh Chaturthi is one of most magnificent festivals celebrated with stupendous zeal and grandeur in the western part of the country. Lakhs and lakhs of Ganesh idols are immersed in the sea as a religious ritual
In the ardour and splendour of celebrating this iconic festival, most people conveniently forget the hazardous impact the immersion of idols has on the environment. The grandeur of this festival might be irresistible, but the damage it inflicts on us is irreparable! A large section of society is unaware of the pollution these chemical-made idols bring to the sea water. Ganesha idols are made using highly corrupt materials like Plaster of Paris and other chemical paints which contain good amounts of mercury and lead. It takes several months for these idols to completely dissolve in the water while they continue to poison the water bodies in contact.
The purpose of celebrating Shree Ganesh Chaturthi is to express our gratitude unto Shree Ganesh. Instead, many people celebrate this festival just as a family custom or as a social event.
In the past decades, the idol of Shree Ganesh was made of clay; however, with the advent of new materials like Plaster of Paris (PoP), cement, paper etc. the idol does not dissolve completely in the water after the immersion.
People select idols made of PoP because it is less expensive; however, PoP idols attract very less Shree Ganesh principle. When the idols made from PoP are immersed in the water, they do not dissolve completely. Due to this, the remains of the idol are collected by the local government body and demolished under bulldozer. This is a grave insult and denigration of Shree Ganesh.
In Hindu Dharma, every aspect of our day to day life has spiritual significance. All the festivals are celebrated for the purpose of remembering God, attracting the sattvikta, developing devotion unto God, etc. We can derive the spiritual benefits only if these festivals are celebrated according to the spiritual science.
Since the main issue around water pollution has got to do with the idol immersion ritual, several people are now suggesting a slight variation of this ritual to avoid water pollution. These include:
1. Immersing the idol in a water tan constructed by the government, instead of directly into natural water bodies.
2. Using only a natural clay idol and immersing it either in the tank or in a bucket of water at home.
3. Immersing a 'betel nut' which symbolises the idol and reusing the same idol every year.
4. If one is using a PoP idol, simply sprinkling a few drops of water on it as a symbolic immersion and donating the idol to be recycled for the following year.
Need of the hour !!
Poor Solid waste management , untreated domestic sewage, Agriculture run-offs includes harmful chemicals , untreated Industrial effluents , all these contaminates not only Surface Water but it also pollutes ground water. What is required is change in our attitude towards all these aspects .
We citizens must enforce Solid waste management from our kitchen itself. Segregation & wet garbage composting is mandatory by Supreme Court order. How many of us are practicing this?
Any number of Swatchh Bharat Abhiyan missions will not help resolve this issue , unless we change our attitude. Kindly note World has only 1 % of fresh water , India's share is 4 % of this 1 % , with 18 % of Worlds population, we need to change our attitude towards WATER . Demand from three water users Agriculture, Industry & Domestic sector, is always increasing .
Unless we stop contaminating surface water , develop & maintain Ground water we are soon going to face huge water crisis. In majority part of country Ground Water is falling at alarming rate.
We all must take such reports very seriously & act on the same.
STOP BURNING LEAVES – MULCH THEM IN STYLE
Sweep up your dried leaves – during the season when they fall, you will get huge amounts. Dried leaves are truly a valuable natural resource! They contain 50 to 80 percent of the nutrients a plant extracts from the soil and air during the season.
Instead of carting leaves to the curb, recycle them the way nature does, by turning them into an invaluable soil builder. Leaf mold greatly improves the structure and water-holding capacity of soil. It also creates the perfect conditions for the community of beneficial organisms that dwell in your soil, and it's great in potting mix.
There's really no excuse not to make leaf mold. It's free, easy-to-make, and readily available.
Our leaf composters give Gardens ATTITUDE !!
Happy Mother Earth Day(22April)
Lets pledge on this day that henceforth we will do whatever little we can to help our planet,
I Pledge, that,
1) I’ll plant at least one tree every year and will care for it.
2) I’ll use water judiciously in my day to day life & will save and conserve rainwater.
3) I’ll segregate bio-degradable and non-bio-degradable waste at homae itself and reuse it by converting it into compost and will motivate others to reuse the old materials.
4) I’ll not dump & will raise voice against dumping any trash & industrial waste into rivers/oceans to check the threat to marine life and pollution of water.
5) I’ll limit the use of my vehicle thereby reducing pollution to reduce my carbon footprints. I’ll aware people about harmful agricultural practices of burning paddy straw/ excessive use of insecticides or pesticides.
6) I’ll switch off the electrical appliances when not required to save & conserve energy.
7) I’ll judiciously use the fast depleting natural resources.
8) I’ll not use plastic bags/glasses/bottles and will prefer Jute/cloth bags in my day to day use.
Compost - The Green Trail way !!
Mixed waste is poison - So Segregate and Compost !!
Happy Holi - riot of colors !!
Go 'Herbal' this Holi !!